Staff Qualifications, Training, Support and Skills
In our setting staff are able to action to apply first aid treatment in the event of an accident involving a child or adult. At least one member of staff of staff with current first aid training is on the premises or on an outing at any one time. The first aid qualification includes first aid training for infants and young children.
The First Aid Kit
Our first aid kit complies with the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 and contains the following items only:
- Triangular bandages x4
- Sterile dressings
- Small (formerly Medium No 8) x3
- Medium (formerly Large No 9) HSE 1 x3
- Large (Formerly Extra large No 3) - HSE 2 - x3
- Composite pack containing 20 assorted (individually-wrapped) plasters 1.
- Sterile eye pads (with bandage / attachment) e.g. No 16 dressing 2.
- Container of 6 safety pins 1.
- Guidance card 1.
In addition to the first aid equipment the box contains the following:
- 2 pairs of disposable plastic gloves
- 1 plastic disposable apron
- A children's forehead 'strip' thermometer.
- The first aid box is easily accessible to adults and is kept out the reach of children
- No un-prescribed medication is given to children, parents or staff.
At the time of admission to the setting, parents' written permission for emergency medical advice or treatment is sought. Parents sign and date their written approval.
Parents sign a consent form at registration allowing staff to take their children to the nearest Accident and Emergency unit to be examined, treated or admitted as necessary on the understanding that parents have been informed and are on the way to the hospital.